Thursday, August 16, 2012

Should you be ashamed of your baby bump?

I was very (unpleasantly) surprised last week when I read on Perez Hilton that Tori Spelling had gotten some very rude comments on her wearing a bikini while pregnant. Uhm, what? Since when did baby bumps become offensive? She got comments like:

“Ewww. She’s pregnant! Cover that bump up! No one wants to see that!!”

“NOT motherly AT ALL.”

“She’s pregnant and wearing this? She’s just trashy and looks like a hooker!”

I can’t believe someone could say that to a pregnant woman trying to survive the summer heat. It sure as hell is not easy being pregnant, and we do get extra hot in the summer sun. Being pregnant is beautiful (even though we don’t always feel that way) and in no way something to be ashamed over. And covering up in shame would definetly send a bad example to her daughters if you ask me. I love Tori’s response, and I agree with her %100!

I have to say, I’m super proud of my bump.  Why should I be embarrassed and cover up something that’s the greatest gift a woman can experience? A pregnant woman in any shape or size is beautiful! Pregnancy is an amazing journey and we preggers should be able to show it off. I call it BUMP PROUD! Embrace your growing curves and bourgeoning belly.


Plus, we are hard at work baking a baby. It’s not easy! It’s tough. We have aches and pains and things happen to our bodies we never imagined, so we should have the same right - if not more - to dress how we want without judgment. Plus, I would wear either of those bathing suits before pregnancy (and I have! Plus, the monokini is vintage and 70’s crochet chic) so why shouldn't I be able to now just because I have a big baby belly?


And, as for setting an example as a mother- please. I’m making a conscious choice to show my daughters that they can express themselves and be proud as a woman of their bodies. I don't ever want them to think that they should be ashamed of or self-conscious of their bodies, no matter what shape it's in.


I think everyone needs to give pregnant women a break and understand that pregnancy is a very special and personal experience for a woman. I'm all about encouraging pregnant women everywhere to wear your Bump Proud!!

I assure you something like this would never happend in Norway. If someone did take offence, they sure as hell would keep it to themselves! Here you see pregnant women on every street corner, they’re so many it’s like we’re taking over the country! I do remember hardly seeing any pregnant women in Italy this past July, which I found strange. Do pregnant women in other countries go into hiding for nine months? I did see one other pregnant woman at the beach, but she was pretty covered up. I on the other hand wore my little bikini not thinking anything of it. I did get a few looks, but I don’t know if that was because of my bump, my milky complexion and red hair or my stretch marks. Either way I don’t care, I’m proud to be pregnant!

tyhtyh[4]

1 comment:

  1. Veldig bra post. Og eg e veldig enig! Bump
    Proud!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...